The headpiece for this section is taken from Fr. Johann Wilhelm Klein, Lehrbuch zum Unterrichte der Blinden (Vienna: 1819), as reprinted in Nelson Coon, A Brief History of Dog Guides for the Blind (Morristown, NJ: Seeing Eye, 1959; 48 pp., illus.) p. 10. At the time of publication, Coon was Librarian of the Blindiana Reference Library, Perkins Institute for the Blind, Watertown, MA. In Guide dogs, the illustration showing use of a leash in combination with a stick is a detail of "La Fin d'une Triste Journée" by M. Adolphe (1838), Coon, p. 31; detail of the disk "moving picture" (French, ca. 1850) is taken from Coon, p. 38.
Go back to Main Menu